Monday, January 21, 2008

Goodbye

Goodbye sunrises, Dr. Seuss plants, German accents, tacos de pescado,
aquamarine blue, deceased grebes, Norway, top ramen, our baby gray whale.

Though, Lord willing, I will return,
I will not come back to this place in time.
Goodbye, not see you later.
Goodbye to now.

I am leaving removed of what I’ve brought,
but I’m leaving full.
I shed knowledge and gained experience.
I am losing the tangible, but gaining character.

I owe it to my guides, both transcendent and earthly;
Knowing when to instruct and when to teach through silence.
Seeing and wanting us to see,
not pressing ideas and experiences
but giving opportunities to take responsibility.

Glad to go home, but here I have time to be.
Goodbye time to sit and wonder,
time to see and know; where the world sits still.
But when the smog blurs my vision,
I will not say goodbye, I will remember.

- Amy Beth Lindvall